Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Top 5 Things to Do When Crammed onto a Train!

This morning's ride on the Franklin/Forge Park commuter rail line was the third in the past two weeks in which riders have been crammed into the cars. On one hand I appreciate the nice conductors' apologies for the situation and their attempts to get everyone on board, but on the other hand, I wish I didn't have to stand so close to the people around me (and I'm sure they feel the same way about me).

What's more is that when I am packed in so closely to these strangers, I don't know where to look! Since I don't want to stare directly into a stranger's eyes, here's my top five list of things to do/places to look when you find yourself jam packed into a train:

1. FLOOR - the floor is always a good option. There are lots of things to look at: people's shoes, garbage, bags, etc.

2. BODY PARTS - check out someone's neck, back or shoulders. This morning I saw one guy wearing a crazy looking bow tie, and a piece of lint on someone else's jacket.

3. HORIZON - try to catch a glimpse of the outside world via a window, or direct your stare further down the train to people on the other side, as it's always easier to stare at someone who may not realize you're staring right at them.

4. PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICE - a neccessity on any train ride, really! Check your email or the news, play a game, listen to music, etc. Avoid talking on your phone though! It's bad enough when people talk on the phone in a non-crowded train...forget about when you're crammed in tightly and get stuck next to a phone talker.

5. BOOK - real or electronic is ok. Take this time to catch up on your reading. Opt for the book or e-book instead of a newspaper though, since a newspaper really requires much more personal/arm/lap space than you'll have in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment