Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What is HOV?

As I drove in to work this morning, I saw signs for the HOV lane and wondered if people know what that is. None of the signs really explain what the HOV lane is. All I know is that a state trooper guards the entrance to the special lane, entry speed is 35 mph and you need 2+ people. I figured I’d get more details on the HOV lane for anyone who’s interested…

HOV stands for high-occupancy-vehicle (HOV) lanes. In the Boston metropolitan region there are two HOV lanes: one on I-93/Southeast Expressway that connects downtown Boston and Route 3 at the Braintree Split interchange, and a southbound, buffer-separated lane on I-93 North that approaches Boston from the north.

I-93 South HOV lane: On weekdays, it is open to northbound traffic between 6:00 AM and 10:00 AM and to southbound traffic between 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM. The HOV lane “borrows” a freeway lane from the general-purpose lanes in the off-peak direction and converts it to a peak-direction HOV lane that is open to carpools (cars with two or more occupants), vanpools, buses, and motorcycles.

I-93 North HOV lane: This HOV lane is open to vehicles with two or more occupants and to all motorcycles between 6:00 AM and 10:00 AM, Monday through Friday. The lane is open to all traffic at all other times.

Try to find someone to carpool with, and you may enjoy a faster commute into the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment